Puyo Puyo Tetris Comes to the West
Puyos and Tetriminos Collide in the Multiplayer Puzzle/Party Game Coming Soon to PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch!
January 13, 2017 – Irvine, CA – Two puzzle game juggernauts collide as Tetris®, one of the largest-selling and recognized brands in gaming history, and Puyo Puyo™ from SEGA have combined to create a fun-to-play, fast-paced, competitive party game like no other! Coming to retailers in the Americas and Europe on PlayStation®4 and Nintendo Switch™ in spring 2017, the game offers tons of gameplay styles – from single-player Adventure and Challenge modes to ferocious competition with up-to-four player Arcade modes, for tons of Tetris/Puyo variety. Plus, an in-game Shop enables players to unlock new characters and skins for Puyos and Tetriminos.
Puyo Puyo Tetris will be releasing only in physical format on the PlayStation 4 and will cost $29.99 at retail. The Nintendo Switch version of Puyo Puyo Tetris will have a digital version for $29.99 and a special retail edition for $39.99. The Nintendo Switch retail edition will include two keychains players can use to show off their Puyo Puyo or Tetris allegiance – one keychain features a green Puyo, and the other features a purple T Tetrimino. The special launch edition of Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Nintendo Switch will only be available in quantities limited to pre-orders and first-run printings of the game in the Americas. Puyo Puyo Tetris is now available to pre-order at most major game retailers.
Here’s a quick rundown of all the different ways to play:
Adventure– Single-player mode offers ten unique acts, each with ten stages featuring different characters from the Puyo Puyo and Tetris universes. Each stage contains unique challenges players will need to overcome in order to win and move on!
Multiplayer Arcade – For up to four local players, Multiplayer Arcade offers a wealth of game variants that will bring out players’ competitive nature!
- Versus – Players compete head-to-head in either Puyo Puyo or Tetris to fight in the puzzle fight of their life.
- Swap – Players’ abilities are put to the ultimate test when they compete on both Puyo Puyo and Tetris boards, which switch back and forth at set intervals.
- Fusion – A true hybrid game where players compete with Puyos and Tetriminos together on the same board, requiring deft, on-the-fly thinking to become victorious.
- Big Bang – It’s a race to the finish as players compete against each other to clear unique challenge boards as quickly as possible to win.
- Party – Players compete on Puyo or Tetris boards, but the puzzles feature special items that when activated either help players or harm their opponents.
Online – Players can try their puzzle skills on a global scale by playing any of the multiplayer modes with up to four players online in Puzzle League or Free Play modes
- Puzzle League – Increase player rating, earn ranks and aspire to new leagues in this mode for competitive enthusiasts.
- Free Play – A more casual experience where records aren’t kept and players can customize matches with unique settings, and invite their friends to play.
- Replays – Players can save and upload any online matches to show off to their friends, or search other players’ replays using the tag and filtering system to see how they tackle matches.
- Challenge – Forget about the opponents and put skills to the test with Sprint, Marathon and more, like the quirky Tiny Puyo, which shrinks down Puyos to fit even more on the board.
Puyo Puyo Tetris will be the site of many contentious local- and online-multiplayer fights for puzzle superiority when the two games collide in spring of this year. The PlayStation 4 version will be available only in a physical format for $29.99, but the Nintendo Switch version will be available digitally for $29.99 and physically for $39.99, with a special launch edition that includes two Puyo Puyo- and Tetris-themed keychains while supplies last. The PS4 version of the game is rated E10+ by the ESRB. The Nintendo Switch version is not currently rated by the ESRB, but E10+ is expected. There will be more information about the puzzle fighter coming soon. Future updates for Puyo Puyo Tetris will be on the game’s official page: puyo.sega.com/tetris!
© SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo and Puyo Puyo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.
All rights reserved. SEGA is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. All other trademarks, logos and copyrights are property of their respective owners.
Tetris ® & © 1985~2017 Tetris Holding.
“PlayStation” and the “PS” Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
About SEGA® of America, Inc.:
SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Games Co., Ltd., a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America’s website is located at www.sega.com
About the Tetris® Brand:
The Tetris® brand is one of the leading and most distinctive video game brands and franchises in the world. For over 30 years, the brand has been loved globally by people of all ages and all cultures. Billions of Tetris games are played online every year, and over 500 million Tetris mobile games have been downloaded to date. Working with Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Sega, Sony/GSN Games and many other licensing partners, the Tetris franchise continues to be one of the most widely recognized video game brands of all time. Tetris Holding, LLC is the owner of Tetris rights worldwide, and The Tetris Company, LLC is its exclusive licensee. For the latest information about the Tetris brand and Tetris products, please visit www.tetris.com.
SEGA of America
Andrea Piotraszewski (on behalf of The Tetris Company)